Senior Research Scholar
Kennedy Institute of Ethics Professor, Philosophy Department
Kennedy Institute of Ethics Professor, Philosophy Department
Department of Philosophy
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. Social Justice: The Moral Foundations of Public Health and Health Policy. : Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Ruth Faden, Gail Geller, Madison Powers. AIDS, Women, and the Next Generation. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.
Articles in journals
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden, and Yashar Saghai. "Liberty, Mill, and the Framework of Public Health Ethics." Public Health Ethics (2012).
- Madison Powers. "Health Care as a Human Right: The Problem of Indeterminate Content." Jurisprudence (2012).
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "Health Capabilities, Outcomes, and the Political Ends of Justice.." Journal of Human Development and Capabilities 12 (2011): 565-570.
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "A Social Justice Framework for Health and Science Policy." Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics 20 (2011): 584-604.
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "Health Inequities and Social Justice." Bundesgesundheitsblatt 7 (2008): 151-157.
- David DeMets, Norman Fost, Madison Powers. ""An Institutional Review Board Dilemma: Responsible for Safety Monitoring But Not in Control" ." Clinical Trials: The Journal of the Society for Clinical Trials (2006).
- Madison Powers. "“Bioethics As Politics: The Limits of Moral Expertise” ." Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal 15 (2005): 305-322.
- Madison Powers. "“Beyond Separate Spheres”." American Society for Bioethics and Humanities Exchange 8 (2005): 1, 10.
- Madison Powers. "Justice and Genetics." Hastings Center Report 31.5 (2001): 47-48.
- Madison Powers. "Some Reflections on Disability and Bioethics." American Journal of Bioethics 1.3 (2001): 51-52.
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "Inequalities in Health, Inequalities in Health Care: Four Generations of Discussion about Justice and Cost-Effectiveness Analysis." Kennedy Institute of Ethics 10 (2000): 109-127.
- Jeremy Sugarman, Madison Powers, and Alan Fleishman. "Unraveling the Ethical Issues Associated with Umbilical Cord Blood Banking and Use." Cancer Research Therapy and Control 8 (1999): 315-321.
- Madison Powers. "Managed Care: How Economic Incentive Reforms Went Wrong." Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal 7 (1997): 353-60.
- Judith Benkendorf, Jeri Reutenauer, Chanita Hughes, Nadine Eads, Jan Willison, Madison Powers, and Caryn Lerman. "Patients’ Attitudes About Autonomy and Confidentiality in Breast-Ovarian Cancer Susceptibility." American Journal of Medical Genetics 73 (1997): 296-303.
- Madison Powers, Carmen Kaminsky, and Motoko Hayashi. "AIDS and Advance Directives: Clinical, Legal and Ethical Perspectives in Japan, Germany and the United States." Jahrbuch fur Recht und Ethik 4 (1996): 509-28.
- Madison Powers. "A Cognitive Access Definition of Privacy." Law and Philosophy 15 (1996): 369-86.
- Madison Powers. "Forget About Equality." Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal 6 (1996): 129-44.
- Madison Powers. "Contemporary Defenses of the Doctrine of Double Effect." Revue Internationale de Philosophie (1995): 181-96.
- Larry Gostin, Joan Turek-Brezina, Madison Powers, and Rene Kozloff. "Privacy and Security of Health Information: The President’s Task Force on National Health Care Reform." Health Matrix: Journal of Law-Medicine 5 (1995): 1-36.
- Madison Powers. "Repugnant Desires and the Two-Tier Conception of Utility." Utilitas 6.2 (1994): 171-76.
- Larry Gostin, Joan Turek-Brezina, Madison Powers, et al. "Privacy and Security of Personal Information in a New Health Care System." Journal of the American Medical Association 270.20 (1993): 2487-2493.
- Madison Powers. "Publication-Related Risks to Privacy: The Ethical Implications of Pedigree Studies." IRB: “ Review of Human Subjects Research 15 (1993): 7-11.
- Madison Powers. "Contractualist Impartiality and Personal Commitments." American Philosophical Quarterly 30.1 (1993): 63-71.
- Jeremy Sugarman, Madison Powers. "Reply." Journal of the American Medical Association 268.1 (1992): 51.
- Madison Powers. "Efficiency, Autonomy, and Communal Values in Health Care." Yale Law and Policy Review 10.2 (1992): 316-61.
- Madison Powers. "Truth, Interpretation and Judicial Method in Recent Anglo-American Jurisprudence." Zeitschrift fur Philosophische Forschung 46.1 (1992): 101-123.
- Jeremy Sugarman, Madison Powers. "How the Doctor Got Gagged: The Disintegrating Right of Privacy in the Physician-Patient Relationship." Journal of the American Medical Association 266.23 (1991): 3323-3327.
- Ruth Faden, Gail Geller, and Madison Powers. "Reply." Journal of the American Medical Association 265.12 (1991): 1525.
- Madison Powers ( member of Working Group on HIV Testing of Pregnant Women and Newborns). "HIV Infection, Pregnant Women, and Newborns: A Policy Proposal for Information and Testing." Journal of the American Medical Association 264.18 (1990): 2416-2420.
- Madison Powers. "Ethical Considerations in HIV Screening Programs for Infected Women and Children." AIDS Patient Care 4.5 (1990): 40-1.
Articles in books
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "Social Justice, Inequality, and Systematic Disadvantage." Contemporary Issues in Bioethics (7th ed.). . Ed. Tom L. Beauchamp, Anna C. Mastroianni, and Jeffrey P. Kahn. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth, 2008: 582-590
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care: An Ethical Analysis of When and How They Matter." Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Ed. Brian D. Smedley, Adrienne Y. Stith, and Alan R. Nelson. Washington, DC: National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine, 2002: 463-75
- Madison Powers. "Privacy and Genetics." Companion to Genethics. Ed. Justine Burley and John Harris. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, 2002: 364-78
- Madison Powers. "Genetic Information, Ethics, Privacy and Confidentiality: Overview." Encyclopedia of Biotechnology: Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues. Ed. Thomas Murray and Maxwell Mehlman. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 2000: 405-414
- Madison Powers. "Rule Consequentialism and Friendship." Rules and Consequences: New Essays on Rule Consequentialism. Ed. Brad Hooker, Dale Miller and Elinor Mason. : Westview Press, 2000: 239-54
- Madison Powers. "Theories of Justice in the Context of Human Subjects Research." Beyond Consent: Seeking Justice in Research. Ed. Jeffrey Kahn, Anna Mastroianni, and Jeremy Sugarman. : Oxford University Press, 1998: 147-65
- Madison Powers. "Justice and Genetics: Privacy Protection and the Moral Basis of Public Policy." Genetic Secrets: Privacy, Confidentiality and New Genetic Technology. Ed. Mark Rothstein. : Yale University Press, 1997: 355-68
- Madison Powers. "The Moral Right to Have Children." HIV, AIDS and Childbearing: Public Policy, Private Lives. Ed. Ruth Faden and Nancy Kass. New York: Oxford University Press, 1996: 320-44
- Madison Powers. "Hypothetical Choice Approaches to Health Care Allocation." Biomedical Ethics Reviews, 1994: Allocating Health Resources. Ed. James M. Humber and Robert F. Almeder. Clifton, NJ: Humana Press, 1994: 147-176
- Madison Powers. "Privacy and the Control of Genetic Information." The Genetic Frontier: Ethics, Law and Policy. Ed. Mark S. Frankel and Albert H. Teich. Washington, DC: American Association for the Advancement of Science Press, 1994: 77-100
- Madison Powers. "Legal Protections of Confidential Medical Information and the Need for Anti-Discrimination Laws." AIDS, Women, and the Next Generation. Ed. Faden, Geller, and Powers. NY: Oxford University Press, 1991: 221-255
- Ruth Faden, Gail Geller, Madison Powers. "HIV Infection, Pregnant Women, and Newborns: A Policy Proposal for Information and Testing." AIDS, Women, and the Next Generation. Ed. Faden, Geller, and Powers. NY: Oxford University Press, 1991: 331-358
- Ruth Faden, Nancy Kass, Madison Powers. "for Screening Programs: Public Health, Legal, and Ethical Frameworks." AIDS, Women, and the Next Generation. Ed. Faden, Geller, and Powers. NY: Oxford University Press, 1991: 3-26
- Madison Powers, Ruth Faden. "Which Way for Medicare?." The Washington Post 10 Jul. 1997: .
- Madison Powers. "Book Review: Gavin Fairbairn, Contemplating Suicide, and Victor Cosculluella, The Ethics of Suicide." Philosophical Books 38 (1997): 272-74.
- Madison Powers. "Clinical Decisions and Judicial Criteria: Review of Alan Meisel, The Right to Die." Bioethics Books 1.4 (1990): 86-88.
- Madison Powers. "Book Review: Tom Sorell, Moral Theory and Capital Punishment." Philosophical Books 29.3 (1988): 162-65.
- Ruth Faden and Madison Powers, “Justice and Incremental Health Care Reform,” Henry J. Kaiser Foundation, 1999.
- “Medicare and Intergenerational Justice,” For Good Reason: Newsletter of the Institute for Ethics and Public Policy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Winter, 1997..
- "Book Note: Timothy Murphy and Marc Lappe, eds., Justice and the Human Genome Project," Ethics, Vol. 105, (1995): 232.
- "Book Note: Peter Byrne, Ethics and Law in Health Care Research," Ethics, Vol. 103, No. 1 (1992): 212-213.
- Susan Hurley, Jeff McMahan, and Madison Powers, A Select Bibliography of Moral and Political Philosophy, (Sub-Faculty of Philosophy, Oxford University: July, 1987)..