Professor of the Practice and Senior Fellow
Faculty - SFS
- Susan Hayward, Katherine Marshall. Women, Religion, and Peacebuilding: Illuminating the Unseen. Washington DC: United States Institute of Peace (USIP), 2015.
- Katherine Marshall. Global Institutions of Religion: Ancient Movers, Modern Shakers. Oxford, UK: Routledge, 2013.
- Katherine Marshall. The World Bank: From Reconstruction to Development to Equity. London: Routledge, 2008.
- Katherine Marshall and Marisa Van Saanen. Development and Faith: Where Mind, Heart, and Soul work Together. Washington DC: The World Bank, 2007.
- Katherine Marshall, Lucy Keough. Finding Global Balance: Common Ground between the Worlds of Development and Faith,. Washington DC: World Bank, 2005.
- Katherine Marshall, Olivier Butzbach. New Social Policy Agendas for Europe and Asia: Challenges, Experience and Lessons . Washington DC: World Bank, 2002.
- Katherine Marshall Johnson. Urban Government for the Prefecture of Casablanca. New York: Praeger, 1970.
Articles in journals
- Katherine Marshall. "Roles of religious actors in the West African Ebola response ." Development in Practice 27 .5 (2017): 622-33.
- Azza Karam, Katherine Marshall. "Religion, Human Rights, and Development: Focusing on Health." Faith & International Affairs 14.3 (2016): 106-9.
- Katherine Marshall. "Fragile States: Five Imperatives." The Interfaith Observer 2015.Oct (2015).
- Katherine Marshall. "The Parliament of the World’s Religions: 1893 and 1993." The Interfaith Observer 2015.Sept (2015).
- Katherine Marshall, Sally Smith. "Religion and Ebola: learning from experience ." The Lancet 2015.July (2015).
- Azza Karam, Julie Clague, Katherine Marshall, Jill Olivier. "The View from Above:faith and health." The Lancet 2015.July (2015).
- Katherine Marshall. "Des Realites Religieuses a Prendre au Serieux." Revue des Deux Mondes (2014): 80-90.
- Katherine Marshall. "Building Faith in the Twenty-First Century,." Peace & Policy Dialogue of Civilizations for Global Citizenship 19.2014 (2014): 17-26.
- Katherine Marshall. "Religious Freedom in US International Development Assistance and Humanitarian Relief: Ideas, Practice, and Issues." The Review of Faith and International Affairs II.1 (2013): 38-48.
- Amy Stambach, Katherine Marshall, Matthew J. Nelson, Liviu Andreescu, Aikande C. Kwayu, Philip Wexler, Yotam Hotam, Schlomo Fischer, Hassan L. Bilawi. "Religion, Education, and Secularism in International Agencies." Comparative Education Review 55.1 (2011): 111-142.
- Katherine Marshall. "Looking Beyond Growth." Dharma World: For Living Buddhism and Interfaith Dialogue 38 (2011): 4-6.
- Katherine Marshall. "Development, Religion, and Women’s Roles in Contemporary Societies." The Review of Faith & International Affairs 8.4 (2010): 33-40.
- Katherine Marshall. "Climbing up to the Light." Reflections: Yale Divinity School: No More Excuses: Confronting Poverty 97 2.2010 (2010): 5-7.
- Katherine Marshall. "Education for All: where does religion come in?." Comparative Education 46.3 (2010): 273-287.
- Katherine Marshall. "Poverty and Human Health: Strategic Challenges." Dharma World 36.2009 (2009): 7-10.
- Katherine Marshall. "Ban the Bank? A Debate on the Future of the World Bank. "Mend, don’t End".." The American Interest IV.3 (2009): 78-83.
- Katherine Marshall. "Ancient and Contemporary Wisdom and Practice on Governance as Religious Leaders Engage in International Development." Journal of Global Ethics 4.3 (2008): 217-229.
- Katherine Marshall. ""The ABCs of AIDS" (letter to the Editor)." First Things (2008): 2-4.
- Katherine Marshall. "Global Development and Religion: Exploring Contemporary Bridges." Monday Developments 25.9 (2007): 6-7.
- Katherine Marshall. "Sviluppo E Poverta: La Visione delle Encicliche E l’Agenda di Sviluppo Globale ." Nuntium 2007 .31-32 (2007): 29-36.
- Katherine Marshall. "Die Kluft überbrücken: Religion und Entwicklung- eine alte Beziehung neu betrachtet,." Entwicklungspolitik Information Nord-Sud (EINS) (2006).
- Katherine Marshall. "Dreaming in Daylight." Resurgence (2005).
- Katherine Marshall. "Faith Perspectives for Development Institutions." International Journal LIX.4 (2004): 893-901.
- Katherine Marshall. "Bridging Gulfs: New Development Visions for Mind, Heart, Soul and Hands." ARC Review (2002).
- Katherine Marshall. "“Development and Religion: A Different Lens on Development Debates”, ." Peabody Journal of Education 76.3 & 4 (2001): 339-375.
Articles in books
- Katherine Marshall. "Engaging on global issues in a UN setting: religious actors." Religion, State and the United Nations: Value politics. Ed. Anne Stensvold. Oxford: Routledge, 2017.
- Katherine Marshall. "Religious voices at the United Nations: American faith perspectives as an example." Religion, State and the United Nations: Value politics. Ed. Anne Stensvold. Oxford: Routledge, 2017: 127-136
- Katherine Marshall. "Gender roles and political, economic, and social change in Bangladesh and Senegal." Islam, Gender, and Democracy in Comparative Perspective. Ed. Jocelyne Cesari and Jose Casanova. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017: 139-159
- Katherine Marshall. "Complex global institutions: religious engagement in development." The Routledge Handbook of Religions and Global Development. Ed. Emma Tomalin. Oxford, UK: Routledge, 2015: 373-388
- Katherine Marshall. "Education for All: Translating Ideals of Equity into Robust Realities." Opening the Doors to Opportunity for All: Setting a Research Agenda for the Future. Ed. Peter Cookson. Washington DC: AIR American Institutes for Research, 2015: 17-23
- Katherine Marshall. "A Popular Revolution? Gender Inequality and Political Change in North Africa." The African Renaissance and the Afro-Arab Spring: A Season of Rebirth?. Ed. Charles Villa-Vicencio, Erik Doxtader, Ebrahim Moosa. Washington DC: Georgetown University Press, 2015: 139-156
- Katherine Marshall. "Religion, Politics, and Economic Development: Synergies and Disconnects ." The Oxford Handbook of Politics of Development. Ed. Carol Lancaster and Nicolas van de Walle. : Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Katherine Marshall. "Action for Peace and Progress: "Tin Ears" on Religion and Development." Religion and Conflict: Responding to the Challenges. Ed. Daniel Cere and Thomas Thorp . : Tony Blair Faith Foudnation, 2014: 92-97
- Katherine Marshall. "Global Development Governance." International Organization and Global Governance. Ed. Thomas G. Weiss and Rorden Wilkinson. New York: Routledge, 2014: 564-579
- Katherine Marshall. "Faith, Religion and International Development ." The Oxford Handbook of Christianity and Economics. Ed. Paul Oslington. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014: 384-400
- Katherine Marshall. "Revisiting the Religious Revival in Development: A Critique of Philip Fountain | Revisiter le renouveau religieux dans le developpement : une critique de Philip Fountain." Religion and Development. Ed. Gilles Carbonnier, Moncef Kartas, Kalinga Tudor Silva. Geneva: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Qamar-ul Huda and Katherine Marshall . "Religion and Peacebuilding." Integrated Peacebuilding Innovative Approaches to Transforming Conflict. Ed. Craig Zelizer. Boulder, Co: Westview Press, 2013.
- Katherine Marshall. "International Aid: Charity is Insufficient." The Moral Dynamics of Economic Life: An Extension and Critique of Caritas in Veritate . Ed. Daniel Finn. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012: 98-100
- Katherine Marshall. "Religion and Development." Rethinking Religion and World Affairs. Ed. Timothy Samuel Shah, Alfred Stepan, Monica Duffy Toft. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012: 193-203
- Katherine Marshall. "Faith, Gender, and International Affairs." Rethinking Religion and World Affairs. Ed. Timothy Samuel Shah, Alfred Stepan, Monica Duffy Toft. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012: 182-192
- Katherine Marshall. "MDGs meet Religion: Past, present, and future ." The Millennium Development Goals and Beyond . Ed. Rorden Wilkinson and David Hulme. London: Routledge, 2012.
- Katherine Marshall. "Development and Faith Institutions: Gulfs and Bridges." Religion and Development: Ways of Transforming the World. Ed. Gerrie Ter Haar. New York: Columbia University Press, 2011: 27-56
- Katherine Marshall. "Journey towards Faith Development Partnerships: the Challenge and the Potential." The World Market and Interreliigous Dialogue. Ed. Catherine Cornille and Glenn Willis. Eugene, Oregon: Cascade Books, 2011: 190-210
- Katherine Marshall. "Frontiers of Public Health and Social Transformation: Faith at the Table." When Religion and Health Align: Mobilizing Religious Health Assets for Transformation. Ed. James R. Cochrane, Barbara Schmid & Teresa Cutts. Pietermaritzburg, South Africa: Cluster Publications:, 2011: 212-235.
- Katherine Marshall. "Governance and Inequality: Reflections on Faith Dimensions ." Global Governance, Poverty and Inequality. Ed. Jennifer Clapp and Rorden Wilkinson . London: Routledge, 2010.
- Katherine Marshall. "Gauntlets of Equity: Practical Ethical Challenges for Development Tomorrow." New Directions in Development Ethics: Essays in Honor of Denis Goulet,. Ed. Charles Wilber and Amitava Dutt.. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press, 2009.
- Katherine Marshall. "Religion and Global Development: Intersecting Paths." Religious Pluralism, Globalization, and World Politics . Ed. Thomas Banchoff. New York: Oxford University Press, USA, 2008.
- Katherine Marshall. "The Ethics of Nutrition: Development Institutions and the World of Religion." Ethics, Globalization, and Hunger: In Search of Appropriate Policies. Ed. Per Pinstrup-Andersen and Peter Sandoee. : Cornell, 2007.
- Katherine Marshall. ""Development Challeges for the New Millennium: Dialogue and Partnership Issues for Faith and Development Institutions"." Attacking Poverty in the Developing World: Christian Practioners and Academics in Collaboration. Ed. Judith M. Dean, Julie Schaffner, Stephen L.S. Smith. : Authentic and World Vision, 2005: 241-251
- Katherine Marshall. ""Changing Paradigms, Evolving Mandates, and Challenges for Faith and Development Partners." Passion for Another World: WCC Internal Encounter of Churches, Agencies and Other Partners on the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. Ed. Rogate Mshana. Geneva: World Council of Churches, 2004: 33-48
- Alexander Ageev, Elena Karpuhina, Bradley Googins, Katherine Marshall, James Post, Sheila Puffer, Irina Tuuli. "The Ethics of Political Economy: A Roundtable Discussion." Educating for Democracy: Paideia in an Age of Uncertainty. Ed. Alan M. Olson, David M. Steiner, Irina S. Tuuli. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2004: 265-300
- Katherine Marshall. "“Emerging from Conflict: The Role of the International Development Finance Institutions"." Preventing Violent Conflict: Issues from the Baltic and the Caucasus. Ed. G. Bonvicini, et al. : Nomos Verlagsgellschaft, 1998.
- Katherine Marshall. "“Regional Development Strategies and Challenges: Some Economic and Social Underpinnings”." War and Peace in Southern Africa: Crime, Drugs, Armies and Trade. Ed. Robert I. Rotberg, Greg Mills. : Brookings Institution Press, 1998.
- Katherine Marshall. "The Genesis and Early Debates." Bolivia’s Answer to Poverty, Economic Crisis and Adjustment - The Emergency Social Fund. Ed. Margaret Grosh, Steen Jorgensen, Mark Schachter. Washington DC: The World Bank, 1992.
- Katherine Marshall, Lucy Keough, ed. Mind, Heart and Soul in the Fight Against Poverty. Washington DC: World Bank, 2004.
- Katherine Marshall, Richard Marsh, ed. Millennium Challenges for Faith and Development Leaders. Washington, DC: World Bank, 2003.
- Katherine Marshall and Armin Bauer, ed. The New Social Policy Agenda in Asia: Proceedings of the Manila Social Forum. Manila, Philippines: A joint Publication of the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank, 2000.
- Katherine Marshall and Crystal Corman, Faith and Development in Focus: Kenya. WFDD. March, 2017.
- Katherine Marshall, Interfaith Journeys: An exploration of history, ideas, and future directions. WFDD, February 23, 2017.
- Katherine Marshall (ed). Religion, Women’s Health and Rights: Points of Contention and Paths of Opportunity. UNFPA. May, 2016.
- Katherine Marshall, Religious engagement in family planning policies: Experience in six Muslim-majority countries. WFDD. October, 2015..
- Katherine Marshall, Huffington Post religion blog. Recent posts include "Lean in with grace: Catholic Women lead", "Faith in the girl child", "Peace, stability, and faith in Kenya", "A Kairos Moment: Faith Calls for Action", "Praying for Peace in Tirana, Albania", and "From Tirana: the Migrant Crisis"..
- Katherine Marshall, "Myanmar: Situation report, religious dimensions of conflict". Tony Blair Faith Foundation, 2014..
- International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies Malaysia, Occasional Paper Series 7.
- Women in Religious Peacebuilding: Focusing on women deepens and broadens the narrow and traditional view of peace.
- Faith and Good Governance: Towards Strengthening Global Coalitions. Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs, January, 2009..
- Katherine Marshall and Alisha Bhagat, Challenges of Change: Faith, Gender, and Development; Report of the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs, Georgetown University.
- Hady Amr and Katherine Marshall, "Human Development in the Muslim World: Transformation for a Common Future." Brookings Discussion Papers. Washington DC, theBrookings Institution, 2007..
- On Faith - Washington Post/Newsweek.
- Faith Communities Engage the HIV/AIDS Crisis: Lessons Learned and Paths Forward, Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs Publication.
- ASEM Asian Financial Crisis Response Fund: A Preliminary Assessment.
- Social Dimensions of East Asia Social Policy Agenda. Manila, Asian Development Bank, 2000..
- From War and Resettlement to Peace and Development: Some Lessons from UNHCR and World Bank Collaboration; HIID Discussion Paper Series 633.
- Making Sense of Development Debates; HIID Discussion Paper 629.
- Emerging from Conflict: What Roles for International Development Institutions? HIID Discussion Paper No. 587.
- Vision and relationships in the international aid world: the Gambia-World Bank Kairaba Partnership Forum; HIID (Harvard Institute for International Development) Discussion Paper Series.