Associate Professor; Japanese Language Coordinator
Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
Articles in journals
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji ni taisuru itsutsu no shinwa [Five myths about kanji and kanji learning]." BATJ Journal 15 (2014): 63-79.
- Mori, Y.. "Review of Recent Research on Kanji Processing, Learning, and Instruction." Japanese Language and Literature 48 (2014): 403-430.
- Mori, Y., & Calder, T.. "Bilingual vocabulary knowledge and arrival age among Japanese heritage language students at hoshuukoo." Foreign Language Annals 46.2 (2013): 290-310.
- Mori, Y.. "Five myths about kanji and kanji learning." Japanese Language and Literature 46.1 (2012): 143-169.
- Mori, Y. & Mori, J. "Review of recent research (2000-2010) on learning and instruction with specific reference to L2 Japanese.." Language Teaching 44.4 (2011): 447-484.
- Mori, Y. & Shimizu, H.. "Japanese language students’ attitudes toward kanji and their perceptions on kanji learning strategies." Foreign Language Annals 40 (2007): 472-490.
- Mori, Y., Sato, K., & Shimizu, H. . "Japanese language students’ perceptions on kanji learning and their relationship to novel kanji word learning ability. ." Language Learning 57 (2007): 57-85.
- Mori, Y.. "Individual differences in word inference strategies." Japanese Language Education, November 2004, Special Issue (2004): 14-37.
- Mori, Y.. "The roles of context and word morphology in learning new kanji words." Modern Language Journal 87 (2003): 404-420.
- Mori, Y.. "Individual differences in the integration of information from context and word parts in ." Applied Psycholinguistics 23 (2002): 375-397.
- Mori, Y.. "Beliefs about language learning and their relationship to the ability to integrate information from word parts and context in interpreting novel kanji words. ." Modern Language Journal 83 (1999): 534-547.
- Mori, Y.. "Epistemological beliefs and language learning beliefs: What do language learners believe about their learning?." Language Learning 49 (1999): 377-415.
- Mori, Y., & Nagy, W.. "Integration of information from context and word elements in interpreting novel kanji compounds." Reading Research Quarterly 34 (1999): 80-101.
- Mori, Y.. "Effects of first language and phonological accessibility on kanji recognition.." Modern Language Journal 82 (1998): 69-82.
Articles in books
- Mori, Y., Omori, M., & Sato, K.. "Japanese in Social Context. ." Proceedings of the 19th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum . Ed. S. Sato. : Princeton University, 2012: pp.270-284
- Mori, Y. Sato, K.. "Vocabulary and kanji learning using TV drama." Proceedings of the 17th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum. Ed. S. Makino . : Princeton University, 2010: pp.102-114
- Koshiyama, E., Shibata, S., & Mori, Y.. "Kodomo no me kara mita amerika deno gengo, gakkou taiken: Ankeeto choosa o fumaete [Language and school experience from children’s perspectives]." Amerika de sodatsu nihon no kodomo--bairingaru no hikari to kage [Japanese children growing in the U.S.: The light and shadow of being bilingual.]. Ed. G. Sato, G., & H. Kataoka . Tokyo, Japan: Akashi-shoten, 2008.
- Mori, Y., Tsujioka, T., Omori, M., Sato, K., & Muroga, I. . "Online kanji learning lessons using Quia." Proceedings of the 14th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum . Ed. S. Makino . : Princeton University, 2007: pp.156-164
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji shidoo no kihon hooshin to sono shomondai [Kanji instruction syllabi: Issues and problems." Proceedings of 18th Annual Conference of the Central Association of Teachers of Japanese (CATJ). Ed. M. Oka. : University of Michigan, 2006.
- Mori, Y.. "Nigengo no hazama de sodatsu hoshuukoo-no kodomo-tachi [Language problems faced by children attending hoshuukoo]." Gengo kyooiku-no shin-tenkai: Makino Seiichi kyooju koki kinenronnshuu [New perspectives on language education--in honor of Prof. Seiichi Makino]. Ed. O. Kamada, M. Tsutsui, Y. Hatasa, F. Nazikians, & M. Mayumi. Tokyo: Hitsuji-shoboo, 2005: 425-446
- Mori, Y.. "Vocabulary acquisition in Japanese." Daini gengo kenkyuu eno shootai [Introduction to second language acquisition research]. Ed. Y. Hatasa . Tokyo: Kuroshio-shuppan, 2003: 47-66 in Japanese, 171-186 in English
- Mori, Y.. "Beliefs about vocabulary learning and strategies for interpreting novel words." Pragmatics and Pedagogy: Proceedings of the 3rd Pacific Second Language Research Forum, Vol. 2. Ed. O. J. Nicholas, & P. Robinson . : Aoyama Gakuin University, 1999: pp.93-100
- Mori, Y. . "Beliefs of learners of Japanese and the strategies they utilize to infer the meanings of unknown kanji words." Proceedings of the 6th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Workshop. Ed. S. Makino . : Princeton University, 1998: pp.135-144
- Mori, Y.. "Proficiency and achievement: Comparison of continuing and newly placed learners of Japanese." Proceedings of the 9th Annual Conference of the Lake Erie Teachers of Japanese. Ed. Y. Johnson. : University of Michigan, 1997: pp.19-33
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji jukugo gakushu: Kousei kanji to bunmyaku no yakuwari ni tsuite [Learning kanji compounds: The roles of context and the internal word structures]." Proceedings of the 5th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Workshop. Ed. S. Makino . : Princeton University, 1997: pp.156-164
- Mori, Y.. "What are major vocabulary problems faced by learners of Japanese? ." Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference of the Lake Erie Teachers of Japanese: Back to the Basics: Building Automaticity. Ed. S. T. Hayes & E. Takahashi. : University of Pittsburgh, 1996: pp.95-109
- Fei-Wen, H., Gairns, B., Jekins, S., Mori, Y., Suriana, Y., & Tillinghast, M. "Newly placed and continuing students in intensive ESL programs." Ohio University Working Papers in Linguistics and Language Teaching : Vol. 12. Ed. Z. S. Bond & K. Koda. : Ohio University, 1991: pp.111-115
- Maynard, Senko K. "Expressive Japanese: A reference guide to sharing emotion and empathy." Modern Language Journal 9 (2007): 140-141.
- Urquhart, A. H., & Weir, C. J.. "Reading in a second language: Process. product, and practice." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 22 (2002): 590-592.
- Boletin [Bulletin], Asociación México Japonesa.
- VIEWS, 20, 2010 Winter.
- Occasional Papers, Association of Teachers of Japanese, 8, 13-15.
- VIEWS, 8, 2007 Winter.
- Eigo Seinen [The English Teachers’ Magazine], 51(6).
- Hokkaido International Foundation Report of the Japanese Language and Civilization Program, 47-53.
- Mori, Y.. "Review of research on kanji processing, learning, and instruction.." : Japanese Language and Literature, to appear in 2014.