Associate Professor; Japanese Language Coordinator
Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
Articles in journals
- Mori, Y., & Calder, T.. "Bilingual vocabulary knowledge and arrival age among Japanese heritage language students at hoshuukoo." Foreign Language Annals 46.2 (2013): 290-310.
- Mori, Y.. "Five myths about kanji and kanji learning." Japanese Language and Literature 46.1 (2012): 143-169.
- Mori, Y. & Mori, J. "Review of recent research (2000-2010) on learning and instruction with specific reference to L2 Japanese.." Language Teaching 44.4 (2011): 447-484.
- Mori, Y. & Shimizu, H.. "Japanese language students’ attitudes toward kanji and their perceptions on kanji learning strategies." Foreign Language Annals 40 (2007): 472-490.
- Mori, Y., Sato, K., & Shimizu, H. . "Japanese language students’ perceptions on kanji learning and their relationship to novel kanji word learning ability. ." Language Learning 57 (2007): 57-85.
- Mori, Y.. "Individual differences in word inference strategies." Japanese Language Education, November 2004, Special Issue (2004): 14-37.
- Mori, Y.. "The roles of context and word morphology in learning new kanji words." Modern Language Journal 87 (2003): 404-420.
- Mori, Y.. "Individual differences in the integration of information from context and word parts in ." Applied Psycholinguistics 23 (2002): 375-397.
- Mori, Y.. "Beliefs about language learning and their relationship to the ability to integrate information from word parts and context in interpreting novel kanji words. ." Modern Language Journal 83 (1999): 534-547.
- Mori, Y.. "Epistemological beliefs and language learning beliefs: What do language learners believe about their learning?." Language Learning 49 (1999): 377-415.
- Mori, Y., & Nagy, W.. "Integration of information from context and word elements in interpreting novel kanji compounds." Reading Research Quarterly 34 (1999): 80-101.
- Mori, Y.. "Effects of first language and phonological accessibility on kanji recognition.." Modern Language Journal 82 (1998): 69-82.
Articles in books
- Koshiyama, E., Shibata, S., & Mori, Y.. "Kodomo no me kara mita amerika deno gengo, gakkou taiken: Ankeeto choosa o fumaete [Language and school experience from children’s perspectives]." Amerika de sodatsu nihon no kodomo--bairingaru no hikari to kage [Japanese children growing in the U.S.: The light and shadow of being bilingual.]. Ed. G. Sato, G., & H. Kataoka . Tokyo, Japan: Akashi-shoten, 2008.
- Mori, Y.. "Nigengo no hazama de sodatsu hoshuukoo-no kodomo-tachi [Language problems faced by children attending hoshuukoo]." Gengo kyooiku-no shin-tenkai: Makino Seiichi kyooju koki kinenronnshuu [New perspectives on language education--in honor of Prof. Seiichi Makino]. Ed. O. Kamada, M. Tsutsui, Y. Hatasa, F. Nazikians, & M. Mayumi. Tokyo: Hitsuji-shoboo, 2005: 425-446
- Mori, Y.. "Vocabulary acquisition in Japanese." Daini gengo kenkyuu eno shootai [Introduction to second language acquisition research]. Ed. Y. Hatasa . Tokyo: Kuroshio-shuppan, 2003: 47-66 in Japanese, 171-186 in English
Articles in conference proceedings
- Mori, Y., Omori, M., & Sato, K.. "Taiguu-hyoogen ni shooten-o ateta shin koosu-no kokoromi [Japanese in Social Context]." The proceedings of the 19th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum. Ed. Shinji Sato. : Princeton University, 2012.
- Mori, Y., & Sato, K.. "Dorama-o tsukatta goi kanji rennshuu [Vocabulary and kanji learning using TV drama]." The proceedings of the 17th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum, May 8-9, 2010. Ed. S. Makino. : Princeton University, 2010.
- Tsujioka, T., Omori, M., Sato, K., Muroga, I., & Mori, Y.. "Quia o tsukatta onrain kanji gakushuu kyoozai [Online kanji learning lessons using Quia]." Proceedings of the 14th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum.. Ed. S. Makino. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University, 2007.
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji shidoo no kihon hooshin to sono shomondai [Kanji instruction syllabi: Issues and problems]." Proceedings of 18th Annual Conference of the Central Association of Teachers of Japanese (CATJ). Ed. M. Oka. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, 2006.
- Mori, Y.. "Beliefs about vocabulary learning and strategies for interpreting novel words." Pragmatics and pedagogy: Proceedings of the Third Pacific Second Language Research Forum: Vol. 2. Ed. In O. J. Nicholas, & P. Robinson . Tokyo: Aoyama Gakuin University, 1999.
- Mori, Y.. "Nihongo gakushuusha no gakushuu ni taisuru ishiki to michi no kanji jukugo no imi o suisokusuru sai no sutorategi [Beliefs of learners of Japanese and the strategies they utilize to infer the meanings." Proceedings of the 6th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Workshop. Ed. S. Makino. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University, 1998.
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji jukugo gakushu: Kousei kanji to bunmyaku no yakuwari ni tsuite [Learning kanji compounds: The roles of context and the internal word structures]." The Proceedings of the 5th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Workshop.. Ed. S. Makino. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University, 1997.
- Mori, Y.. "Proficiency and achievement: Comparison of continuing and newly-placed learners of Japanese.." Proceedings of the 9th Annual Conference of the Lake Erie Teachers of Japanese. Ed. Y. Johnson. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, 1997.
- Mori, Y.. "What are major vocabulary problems faced by learners of Japanese?." Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference of the Lake Erie Teachers of Japanese: Back to the Basics: Building Automaticity . Ed. S. T. Hayes & E. Takahashi. Pittsburg, PA: University of Pittsburg, 1996.
- Maynard, Senko K. "Expressive Japanese: A reference guide to sharing emotion and empathy." Modern Language Journal 9 (2007): 140-141.
- Urquhart, A. H., & Weir, C. J.. "Reading in a second language: Process. product, and practice." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 22 (2002): 590-592.