Associate Professor; Japanese Language Coordinator
Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
Articles in journals
- Mori, Y., Omori, M., & Sato, K.. "The impact of flipped online kanji instruction on written vocabulary learning for introductory and intermediate Japanese Language Students." Foreign Language Annals 49.4 (2016): 729-749.
- Mori, Y., & Calder, T.. "The role of motivation and learner variables in L1 and L2 vocabulary development in Japanese heritage language speakers in the U.S.." Foreign Language Annals 48 (2015): 730-754.
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji ni taisuru itsutsu no shinwa [Five myths about kanji and kanji learning]." BATJ Journal 15 (2014): 63-79.
- Mori, Y.. "Review of Recent Research on Kanji Processing, Learning, and Instruction." Japanese Language and Literature 48 (2014): 403-430.
- Mori, Y., & Calder, T.. "Bilingual vocabulary knowledge and arrival age among Japanese heritage language students at hoshuukoo." Foreign Language Annals 46.2 (2013): 290-310.
- Mori, Y.. "Five myths about kanji and kanji learning." Japanese Language and Literature 46.1 (2012): 143-169.
- Mori, Y. & Mori, J. "Review of recent research (2000-2010) on learning and instruction with specific reference to L2 Japanese.." Language Teaching 44.4 (2011): 447-484.
- Mori, Y. & Shimizu, H.. "Japanese language students’ attitudes toward kanji and their perceptions on kanji learning strategies." Foreign Language Annals 40 (2007): 472-490.
- Mori, Y., Sato, K., & Shimizu, H. . "Japanese language students’ perceptions on kanji learning and their relationship to novel kanji word learning ability. ." Language Learning 57 (2007): 57-85.
- Mori, Y.. "Individual differences in word inference strategies." Japanese Language Education, November 2004, Special Issue (2004): 14-37.
- Mori, Y.. "The roles of context and word morphology in learning new kanji words." Modern Language Journal 87 (2003): 404-420.
- Mori, Y.. "Individual differences in the integration of information from context and word parts in ." Applied Psycholinguistics 23 (2002): 375-397.
- Mori, Y.. "Beliefs about language learning and their relationship to the ability to integrate information from word parts and context in interpreting novel kanji words. ." Modern Language Journal 83 (1999): 534-547.
- Mori, Y.. "Epistemological beliefs and language learning beliefs: What do language learners believe about their learning?." Language Learning 49 (1999): 377-415.
- Mori, Y., & Nagy, W.. "Integration of information from context and word elements in interpreting novel kanji compounds." Reading Research Quarterly 34 (1999): 80-101.
- Mori, Y.. "Effects of first language and phonological accessibility on kanji recognition.." Modern Language Journal 82 (1998): 69-82.
Articles in books
- Koshiyama, E., Shibata, S., & Mori, Y.. "Kodomo no me kara mita amerika deno gengo, gakkou taiken: Ankeeto choosa o fumaete [Language and school experience from children’s perspectives]." Amerika de sodatsu nihon no kodomo--bairingaru no hikari to kage [Japanese children growing in the U.S.: The light and shadow of being bilingual.]. Ed. G. Sato, G., & H. Kataoka . Tokyo, Japan: Akashi-shoten, 2008.
- Mori, Y.. "Nigengo no hazama de sodatsu hoshuukoo-no kodomo-tachi [Language problems faced by children attending hoshuukoo]." Gengo kyooiku-no shin-tenkai: Makino Seiichi kyooju koki kinenronnshuu [New perspectives on language education--in honor of Prof. Seiichi Makino]. Ed. O. Kamada, M. Tsutsui, Y. Hatasa, F. Nazikians, & M. Mayumi. Tokyo: Hitsuji-shoboo, 2005: 425-446
- Mori, Y.. "Vocabulary acquisition in Japanese." Daini gengo kenkyuu eno shootai [Introduction to second language acquisition research]. Ed. Y. Hatasa . Tokyo: Kuroshio-shuppan, 2003: 47-66 in Japanese, 171-186 in English
Articles in conference proceedings
- Mori, Y.. "Post-AP Japanese language and Culture: What do AP Japanese students expect from Japanese language instruction at college level? ." The Proceedings of the 26th Central Association of Teachers of Japanese Conference. Ed. Oka, Mayumi. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan: University of Michigan, 2016.
- Mori, Y., Omori, M., & Sato, K.. "Taiguu-hyoogen ni shooten-o atate shin-koosu-no kokoromi [Japanese in social context]." The Proceedings of the 19th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum. Ed. S. Sato. : Princeton University, 2012.
- Mori, Y., & Sato, K.. "Dorama-o tsukatta goi kanji rennshuu [Vocabulary and kanji learning using TV drama]." The Proceedings of the 17th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum. Ed. S. Makino . : Princeton University, 2010.
- Mori, Y., Tsujioka, T., Omori, M., Sato, K., & Muroga, I.. "Quia o tsukatta onrain kanji gakushuu kyoozai [Online kanji learning lessons using Quia]." The Proceedings of the 14th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Forum. Ed. S. Makino. : Princeton University, 2007.
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji shidoo no kihon hooshin to sono shomondai [Kanji instruction syllabi: Issues and problems]." Proceedings of 18th Annual Conference of the Central Association of Teachers of Japanese (CATJ). Ed. Oka, M.. : University of Michigan, 2006.
- Mor, Y.. "Beliefs about vocabulary learning and strategies for interpreting novel words." Pragmatics and pedagogy: Proceedings of the Third Pacific Second Language Research Forum: Vol. 2. Ed. Nicholas, O. J. & Robinson, P. . Tokyo: Aoyama Gakuin University, 1999.
- Mori, Y.. "Nihongo gakushuusha no gakushuu ni taisuru ishiki to michi no kanji jukugo no imi o suisokusuru sai no sutorategi [Beliefs of learners of Japanese and the strategies they utilize to infer the meanings." Proceedings of the 6th Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Workshop . Ed. Makino, S.. : Princeton University, 1998.
- Mori, Y.. "Kanji jukugo gakushu: Kousei kanji to bunmyaku no yakuwari ni tsuite [Learning kanji compounds: The roles of context and the internal word structures]." Proceedings of the Fifth Princeton Japanese Pedagogy Workshop . Ed. Makino, S.. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University, 1997.
- Mori, Y.. "Proficiency and achievement: Comparison of continuing and newly placed learners of Japanese." Proceedings of the 9th Annual Conference of the Lake Erie Teachers of Japanese. Ed. Johnson, Y.. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, 1997.
- Mori, Y.. "What are major vocabulary problems faced by learners of Japanese?." Proceedings of the 8th Annual Conference of the Lake Erie Teachers of Japanese: Back to the Basics: Building Automaticity . Ed. Hayes, S. T. & Takahashi, E.. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh, 1996.
- Maynard, Senko K. "Expressive Japanese: A reference guide to sharing emotion and empathy." Modern Language Journal 9 (2007): 140-141.
- Urquhart, A. H., & Weir, C. J.. "Reading in a second language: Process. product, and practice." Studies in Second Language Acquisition 22 (2002): 590-592.
- Boletin [Bulletin], Asociación México Japonesa.
- VIEWS, 20, 2010 Winter.
- Occasional Papers, Association of Teachers of Japanese, 8, 13-15.
- VIEWS, 8, 2007 Winter.
- Eigo Seinen [The English Teachers’ Magazine], 51(6).
- Hokkaido International Foundation Report of the Japanese Language and Civilization Program, 47-53.
- Fei-Wen, H., Gairns, B., Jekins, S., Mori, Y., Suriana, Y., & Tillinghast, M.. "Newly placed and continuing students in intensive ESL programs." Ohio University Working Papers in Linguistics and Language Teaching: Vol. 12 12 (1991): 111-115.