Jennifer L Woolard
Co-Director of Graduate Program in Developmental Science
Co-Director of Graduate Program in Developmental Science
Department of Psychology
- Reppucci, N. D., Britner, P. A., and Woolard, J. L. Preventing child abuse and neglect through parent education. : Brooks Publishing, 1997.
Articles in journals
- Johnson, K., Lanza-Kaduce, L., & Woolard, J.L. "Disregarding graduated treatment: Why transfer aggravates recidivism." Crime & Delinquency 57 (2011): 756-777.
- Cauffman, E., Shulman, E., Steinberg, L., Claus, E., Banich, M., Graham, S., & Woolard, J.L. "Age differences in affective decision making as indexed by performance on the Iowa Gambling Task." Developmental Psychology 46 (2010): 193-207.
- Steinberg, L, Cauffman, E., Woolard, J., Graham, S., & Banich, M. "Are adolescents less mature than adults? Minors’ access to abortion, the juvenile death penalty, and the alleged APA “Flip-flop”." American Psychologist 64 (2009): 583-594.
- Steinberg, L., Graham, S., O’Brien, L, Woolard, J.L., Cauffman, E., & Banich, M. "Age differences in future orientation and delay discounting." Child Development 80 (2009): 28-43.
- Steinberg, L., Albert, D., Cauffman, E., Banich, M. Graham, M, & Woolard, J.L. "Age differences in sensation seeking and impulsivity as indexed by behavior and self-report: Evidence for a dual systems model." Developmental Psychology 44 (2008): 1764-1778.
- Woolard, J.L., Cleary, H., Harvell, S., & Chen, R. "Examining adolescents’ and their parents’ conceptual and practical knowledge of police interrogation: A family dyad approach." Journal of Youth and Adolescence 37 (2008): 685-698.
- Woolard, J.L., Harvell, S.A.S., & Graham, S. "Anticipatory injustice among adolescents: Age differences in perceived unfairness of the justice system." Behavioral Sciences and the Law 26 (2008): 207-226.
- Brank,-Eve-M; Woolard,-Jennifer-L; Brown,-Veda-E; Fondacaro,-Mark; Luescher,-Jennifer-L; Chinn,-Ramona-G; Miller,-Scott-A. "Will they tell?: Weapons reporting by middle-school youth.." Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice 5.2 (2007): 125-146.
- Russell, B., Britner, P., & Woolard, J.L. . "Primary prevention home visiting programs: A review of program, child, and family outcomes. ." Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community 34.1-2 (2007): 129-147.
- Brank, E.M., Woolard, J.L., Brown, V.E., Fondacaro, M., Luescher, J.L., Greig, R., & Miller, S. . "Will they tell? Weapons reporting by middle school youth. ." Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice (2006).
- Russell, B., Britner, P.A., & Woolard, J.L.. "Primary prevention home visiting programs: A review of program, child, and family outcomes.." The Journal of Primary Prevention and Intervention (2006).
- Woolard, J.L., Odgers, C., Lanza-Kaduce, L., & Daglis, H. "Juveniles within adult correctional settings: Legal pathways and developmental considerations." International Journal of Forensic Mental Health 4 (2005): 1-18.
- Calvert, S.L., Rideout, V.J., Woolard, J.L., Barr, R.F., & Strouse, G.A. "Age, ethnicity, and socioeconomic patterns in early computer use: A national survey." American Behavioral Scientist (2004).
- Mulford, C.F, Reppucci, N.D., Mulvey, E.P., Woolard, J.L., & Portwood, S.L. "Legal issues affecting mentally disordered and developmentally delayed youth in the justice system." International Journal of Forensic Mental Health 3 (2004).
- Schmidt, M., Reppucci, N.D., & Woolard, J.L. "Effectiveness of participation as a defendant: The attorney- juvenile client relationship." Behavioral Sciences and the Law 21 (2003): 175-198.
- Grisso, T., Steinberg, L., Woolard, J.L., Cauffman, E., Scott, E., Graham, S., Lexcen, F., Reppucci, N., & Schwartz, R. "Juveniles’ competence to stand trial: A comparison of adolescents’ and adults’ capacities as trial defendants." Law and Human Behavior 27 (2003): 333-363.
- Woolard, J. L., Fondacaro, M., & Slobogin, C. "Informing juvenile justice policy: Directions for behavioral science research." Law and Human Behavior 25 (2001): 13-24.
- Reppucci, N. D., Woolard, J. L., & Fried, C. S. "Social, community, and preventive interventions." Annual Review of Psychology 50 (1999): 387-418.
- Woolard, J. L., Reppucci, N. D., & Redding, R. E. "Theoretical and methodological issues in studying children’s capacities in legal contexts." Law and Human Behavior 20 (1996): 219-228.
- Scott, E. S., Reppucci, N. D., & Woolard, J. L. "Adolescent judgment in legal contexts." Law and Human Behavior 19 (1995): 221-244.
Articles in books
- Woolard, J.L. "Crossing over: Girls at the intersection of juvenile justice, criminal justice, and child welfare." Delinquent girls: Contexts, relationships, and adaptations. Ed. S. Miller, L.D. Leve, & P.K. Kerig. : Springer, 2012: 25-40
- Woolard, J.L. "Adolescent development, delinquency, and juvenile justice." The handbook of juvenile delinquency and juvenile justice. Ed. B. Feld and D. Bishop. : Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Woolard, J.L. & Scott, E.S. "The legal regulation of adolescents." Handbook of adolescent psychology (3rd ed.) Vol. 2: Contextual influences on adolescent development. Ed. R.M. Lerner & L. Steinberg . New York: Wiley, 2009: 345-371
- Woolard, J.L., & Harvell, S. "The MacArthur Competence Assessment Tool – Criminal Adjudication." Handbook of mental health screening and assessment for juvenile justice. Ed. T. Grisso & G. Vincent . New York: Guilford Press, 2005: 370-383
- Phillips, D., Woolard, J., & Sussman, A. "Psychology and public policy." The encyclopedia of human development. Ed. N.J. Salkind. London: Sage, 2005.
- Cauffman, E. & Woolard, J.L. "Adolescent judgment and decision making in legal contexts." The development of judgment and decision-making in children and adolescents. Ed. J. Jacobs and Klaczynski . Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2005: 279-301
- Scott, E.S., & Woolard, J.L. "The legal regulation of adolescence." Handbook of adolescent psychology. Ed. R.M. Lerner & L. Steinberg. New York: Wiley, 2004.
- Woolard, J.L. "Policy directions and approaches to violence among female youth." Girls and aggression: Contributing factors and intervention principles. Ed. M. M. Moretti, C.L. Odgers, & M.A. Jackson. New York: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004: 225-237
- Cook, S. L., Woolard, J. L., & Russell, H. M. "Violence against women: Policies that promote strength, resilience, and resolution." Fostering resilient children, youth, families and communities: Strengths-based research and policy. Ed. B. Leadbeater, K. Maton, & C. Schellenback. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2003.
- Woolard, J. L. "Capacity, competence, and the juvenile defendant: Implications for research and policy." Children and the law: Social science and policy. Ed. B. L. Bottoms, M. B. Kovera., & B. D. McAuliff . New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- Woolard, J. L., Fried, C. S., & Reppucci, N. D. "Toward an expanded definition of adolescent competence in legal contexts." Psychology in the courts: International advances in knowledge. Ed. R. Roesch, R. Corrado, & R. Dempster. London: Routledge, 2001: 21-40
- Woolard, J. L., & Reppucci, N. D. "Researching juveniles’ capacities as defendants." Youth on trial . Ed. T. Grisso & B. Schwartz. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000: 173-191
- Fried, C., Reppucci, N. D., & Woolard, J. L. "Violence Prevention." Handbook of Community Psychology . Ed. J. Rappaport & E. Seidman. New York: Plenum, 2000: 965-973
- Mulvey, E. P., & Woolard, J. L. "Themes for consideration in future research on prevention and intervention with antisocial behaviors." Handbook of antisocial behavior. Ed. D. M. Stoff, J. Brieling, & J. D. Maser. New York: Wiley, 1997: 454-460
- Woolard, J. L., Gross, S. L., Mulvey, E. P., and Reppucci, N. D. "Legal issues affecting mentally ill youth in the juvenile justice system." Responding to the mental health needs of youth in the juvenile justice system. Ed. J. J. Cocozza. Seattle, WA: National Coalition for the Mentally Ill in the Criminal Justice System, 1992.
- Woolard, J. L., & Cook, S. L. (2000). Common goals, competing interests: Preventing spouse abuse and child maltreatment. University of Missouri-Kansas City Law Review, 69, 197-214.
- Slobogin, C., Fondacaro, M., & Woolard, J. L. (1999). A prevention model of juvenile justice: The promise of Kansas v. Hendricks for children. University of Wisconsin Law Review, 1999, 186-226.
- Cauffman, E., Woolard, J. L., & Reppucci, N. D. (1999). Adolescent decision making in legal contexts: New perspectives on adolescence, competence, and culpability. Quinnipiac Law Review, 18, 403-419.