Chandra M Manning
Department of History
- Chandra Manning. What This Cruel War Was Over: Soldiers, Slavery, and the Civil War. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2007.
Articles in journals
- Chandra Manning. "“Can Soldiers Tell Us Anything about Lincoln,” ." Soldier Studies summe.2010 (2010).
- Chandra Manning. "“Demystifying Union Soldiers,” ." North and South 10:5 10.5 (2008): 84-89.
- Chandra Manning. "’Like a Handle on a Jug:’ Union Soldiers and Abraham Lincoln." North and South 9.4 (2006): 34-46.
- Chandra Manning. "Our Liberties and Institutions: What Union and Confederate Soldiers Thought the Civil War Was About,” ." North and South 7.6 (2004).
- Chandra Manning. "Politics By Other Means: Soldiers’ Views of the American Civil War, 1861-1865." Istorika (Athens, Greece) (2001).
- Chandra Miller. "Title Page to a Great Tragic Volume:’ The Impact of the Missouri Crisis on Slavery, Race, and Republicanism in the Thought of John C. Calhoun and John Quincy Adams." Missouri Historical Review (2000).
- Chandra Miller. "A Perfect Institution Belonging to the Regiment:’ The Soldier’s Letter and Civil War Soldiers in Kansas." Kansas History (2000).
Articles in books
- Chandra Manning. "“Wartime Nationalism and Race: Comparing the Visions of Confederate, Black Union, and White Union Soldiers." The Transformation of America: Essays on the Civil War. Ed. William Cooper and John McCardell . Baton Rouge: LSU Press, 2009.
- Chandra Manning. "“The Order of Nature Would Be Reversed”: Slavery and the North Carolina Gubernatorial Election of 1864,” ." North Carolinians in the Era of the Civil War and Reconstruction . Ed. Paul Escott . Chapel Hill, NC: UNC Press, 2008.
- Chandra Manning. "A Vexed Question: Union Soldiers on Slavery and Race." The View from the Ground: The Experiences of Civil War Soldiers . Ed. Aaron Sheehan-Dean. Lexington, Kentucky: University of Kentucky Press, 2007.
- Chandra Manning. " “Contraband” and “United States Colored Troops”." Encyclopedia of Reconstruction. Ed. Richard Zuczek. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2006.
- Chandra Manning. "“Internal Improvements” ." .), Major Acts of Congress . Ed. Brian K. Landsberg. New York : Macmillan Reference, 2004.
- Chandra Manning. "The Confederate Army ." Reader’s Guide to Military History . Ed. Charles Messenger. London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers, 2001.