Benjamin J Harbert
Assistant Professor, Music
Department of Performing Arts
Articles in journals
- Benjamin J. Harbert. "Only Time: Musical Means to the Personal, the Private and the Polis at the Louisiana Correctional Institute for Women." American Music 30.2 (2013): 203-240.
- Benjamin J. Harbert. "Editor’s Introduction." American Music 30.2 (2013): 127-133.
- Benjamin J. Harbert. "I’ll Keep on Living After I Die: Musical Manipulation and Transcendence at Louisiana State Penitentiary." The International Journal of Community Music 3.1 (2010): 65-76.
- Benjamin J. Harbert. "Of Their Knowledge in Musick: Early European Musical Encounters in Egypt and the Levant as Read within the Emerging British Public Sphere, 1687-1811." Pacific Review of Ethnomusicology 13 (2008).
Articles in books
- Benjamin J. Harbert. "Noise and Its Formless Shadows: Egypt’s Extreme Metal as Avant-Garde Nafas Dowsha." The Arab Avant Garde: Music, Politics, Modernity. Ed. Thomas Burkhalter, Kay Dickinson and Benjamin J. Harbert. Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 2013: 229-272
- Thomas Burkhalter, Kay Dickinson and Benjamin J. Harbert, ed. Arab Avant Garde: Music, Politics, Modernity. Middletown, CT: Wesleyan University Press, 2013.
- Benjamin J. Harbert (producer and director). Follow Me Down: Portraits of Louisiana Prison Musicians (producer and director). Reel Music Film Festival (2012), Chicago International Music and Movies Film Festival (2013), Southern Screen Film Festival (2013). Distributed by Films for the Humanities & Sciences (2013). 96 min. .
- Benjamin J. Harbert (editor and co-producer with director Ankica Petrovic). John Filcich: Life in the Circle Dance. South East European Film Festival, Los Angeles (2008). Distributed by Media-Generation (2008). 29 min..